The Braille Group of Buffalo, Inc. offers an annual scholarship for Braille readers. Scholarship money is available for visually impaired students whose primary reading media is Braille and whose residence is in one of the eight counties of Western New York. Scholarship money may be used to offset expenses students may encounter as they continue their studies beyond high school.
Please prepare a packet that includes:
- Completed application form
- Proof that Braille is the applicant's primary reading media (may be a letter from TVI)
- Short essay (no more that 2 pages, double spaced) including: what reading Braille means to the applicant; area of post secondary study; aspirations for future.
- Two letters of recommendation – one may be from the student's TVI recommending as well as vouching that the student is a Braille reader. (Relatives may not submit a letter of recommendation).
- Copies of high school or college transcripts (whichever is appropriate).
- Proof of acceptance or registration into a college or technical school will need to be submitted before the scholarship is awarded.
Please send completed application and supporting documents to:
The Braille Group of Buffalo
Attn: Scholarship Committee
PO Box 342
Getzville, NY 14068
Applications must be postmarked, emailed (firstname.lastname@example.org)or faxed (716-689-2039) by no later than April 30th. Successful applicants will be notified of their award by June 1st.
Please address any questions to the scholarship committee by email at: email@example.com